Tuesday, September 11, 2007

A little History on The Caped Avengah's Pie Adventures.

In a week from now I'll have a trailer for The Caped Avengah's Pie Adventures online. Either on the offline, or youtube, or whatever.

This was a big project, produced by Brian Morgan and myself. It stars the talents of Corey Stevens (who's been in a slew of Sheridan student films) and Shawn Verge (my oldest video collaborator) and Brian Morgan, as the lead role. A cameo is made by Steven Leck who came by to operate the broom mic, and I'm sure he'll be around to work on more offline projects in the future.

We shot The Caped Avengah's Pie Adventures almost two years ago. Brian and I wrote it back in the summer of 05 when I was working in a greenhouse, furiously making up for my first year school debt. We shot it in November later that year, and I did a rough edit of the first scene, which probably nearly a hundred people have seen. School picked up and I had to put it down.

When the summer of 06 came around, I was fortunate enough to go on tour with the Faun Fables, but unfortunate enough to have my computer stolen on the last gig in Hamilton. Mega-delayed but armed with a new macbook by June, I rushed to get even older work done before working on C.A.P.A. Many Beautiful Nothing and Trevor Dunn and Shelley Burgon concerts were edited that summer.

By August, a full year after completing the script, I sat down and edited the entire film, minus the end. We had shot about 6 different endings, and I couldn't decide which worked best. The movie also suffered from a plauge known as boringness. The rhythm of the cutting was so predictable, yet it had no driving pulse to keep the audience interested. As my last semester of school kicked in, I had to regrettably put down the Avengah.

Funnily enough, in February '07, I went up to Brampton for the indie arts fest, to shoot Trevor Dunn and Shelley Burgon's set. There I met Friendly Rich and got a compilation disc of artists on the bill. The Friendly Rich song on that compilation fit perfectly with the Caped Avengah. It was glorious; the movie was watchable.

Now from February until today, I'm honestly not sure why I never sat down and finished The Caped Avengah. It didn't even occur to me until writing this that it's been six months and I have no valid excuse as to why I didn't buckle down and do the less than a day's work that's left. Every now and again I'd throw myself into a project non-stop for two weeks, (such as editing the Zombie short Bloodshed, producing BDTC's People video, and most recently The Faun Fable's Transit Rider) but frankly, when it came down to my own projects, I've been fucking lazy. I think once The Transit Rider is done, I'm throwing away my producing/editing role the fuck out and replacing it with directing/writing. It's been a while. The Offline is a perfect excuse.

...So what's The Caped Avengah's Pie Adventures all about? Eh... Just check out the trailer next week and you'll get an idea.

No comments: