Saturday, September 22, 2007

Computers Suck, part 1

Obsviously, for the all of one (1) of you (me) who've been following and anticipating the release of C.A.P.A., there has been a delay. I've run into computer problems, once again.

My macbook started to shut off randomly with absolutely no notice. I did some research and learned that this is a regular problem with first-generation macbooks. Apple released an a firmwire update to solve this problem. The install instructions recommended that you update your OS to the most resent version. At time of release it was 10.4.8. I have 10.4.7. The instructions specifically said that if you install the update on OS 10.4.6 or anything below, you will fuck your computer up. .7 and beyond are fine, although an update is recommended.

I booted the computer up and started a download for 10.4.10, the most recent mac OS. 250mb download. I cancelled the download in fear that my computer would turn off, as at that point it would only stay on for about 1-3 minutes. I started the firmwire update download. On completion, I followed the instructions TO THE T. After the install, I had to reset, as is normal for most software installations. Then, nothing. My computer wouldn't turn on. It would 'warm up' as in I could hear the harddrive and fan spinning, and I could insert and remove CDs. After a variety of attempts to turn my computer under different circumstances (battery in, out, depleted, waiting a long time, plugged in, unplugged, etc) I took it into a very friendly and trusty mac-authorized dealer.

The logic board was fried.

1 comment:

brightgreenpupil said...

That's very unfortunate J, I'm sorry to hear that. I had experienced the same symptoms earlier this year with my Macbook. I eventually found out that certain Macbooks have defective batteries and that Apple is running a replacement program.

It may be too late for you but the details are available at this link:

http://www.apple.com/support/macbook_macbookpro/batteryupdate/

I've had absolutely no problems with random system shut downs after I received my replacement battery, and it doesn't get as hot as it used to.